French Bulldog and French Bulldog Puppy
French Bulldog and French Bulldog Puppy History Plus Tips by Dr. Kraemer
French Bulldog and French Bulldog Puppy ORIGIN & HISTORY
French bulldogs are English in origin, the French bulldog was an invention of 19th century English lace makers who specially bred a ‘lap’ version of the bulldog, which they nicknamed the “toy” bulldog. The craftsmen fled to France during the industrial revolution, taking their pets with them and the popular French bulldog was born.
French Bulldog puppies are more like their English bulldog than the American bulldog. French bulldogs are stocky, with small legs set close to the ground, they feature a round, barrel-shaped body and a deep and square lower jaw. Signature to bulldogs, they also have a mass of wrinkles around their head and shoulder area.
However, unlike English or American bulldogs, French bulldogs are distinguished by their large, prominent round eyes and their pointy, bat-like ears, which stand straight up.
French Bulldog and French Bulldog Puppy CURRENT STANDART
The French Bulldog is medium-sized bulldogs, who weigh an average of 19 to 28 pounds and stand about 12 inches high. The French bulldog puppy is a bright dog with a pleasant and easygoing nature. French bulldogs love to give affection and be loved in return. They thrive on family life, are great with children and generally get along with other pets. French bulldogs are intelligent, fairly active dogs and enjoy stimulating exercise, especially young French bulldog puppies, who can be very frisky and enjoy chasing balls and other active games.
On Average Frenchie’s lifespan is around 11-13 years.
French Bulldog and French Bulldog Puppy COMMON HEALTH RISK
common health risks and medical ailments including:
- Brachycephalic Syndrome: (Stenotic nares, elongated soft palate, hypoplastic trachea), French bulldog puppies are most prone to Stenotic nares manifested by breathing difficulties, snoring and snorting.
- Eye Problems: (Cherry eye, entropion, eyelash problems)
- Heat Stroke: Mostly due to their predisposition to the brachycephalic syndrome that affects their airways and thermal body regulation.
- Orthopedic & Neurological Problems: MPL, Hip Dysplasia, and ACL tears
- Skin Problems: Skin Fold Problems manifested as skin fold moist dermatitis in areas such as the nose and tail.
French Bulldog and French Bulldog Puppy WELLNESS:
- Fecal Test: including a screen for protozoa like Giardia (common to breeder facilities)
- Core Vaccine: 3-4 times then every 3 years after the first year booster.
- Dewormer: for common puppy worms like roundworms
- Flea Preventive
- Heartworm Preventive: Heartworms are transmitted by mosquitos
- Microchip: Mircoship ID and Proof of ownership
- Pet Insurance: At least for the first year
- Dr. Kraemer Bulldog Maintenance: Bully Wellness & Preventive including skincare, ear care, joint care, etc. See HERE:
French Bulldog and French Bulldog Puppy TIPS
Dr. Kraemer’s French Bulldog and French Bulldog Puppy Tip 1: I highly recommend that you seek a reputable breeder.
Dr. Kraemer’s French Bulldog and French Bulldog Puppy Tip 2: Have your French Bulldog Puppies screened by a veterinarian who is familiar with the breed’s unique medical problems.
Dr. Kraemer’s French Bulldog and French Bulldog Puppy Tip 3: Before buying a new French Bulldog Puppy, you might consider checking your local rescue. The cost of a rescue puppy is much lower and you will have the added bonus of saving a bulldog that is in desperate need of a loving family and a new home. For more information on how to adopt a rescued bulldog and how to support and Empower Rescue, click here.
Dr. Kraemer’s French Bulldog and French Bulldog Puppy Tip 4: Before and after buying or adopting a French Bulldog Puppy or other brachycephalic breed pets like the English, Old English or American bulldog, read my Zen & Bulldog Maintenance “bulldog 101” chapter. This chapter is the cornerstone of my website, written to be easy to understand and complemented with photos and videos.
You will learn how to become a “Bulldog Certified Yoda Master”, keeping your bulldog puppy healthy and at minimal cost!