Poisons and Toxins in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs

Poisons and Toxins in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs

Poisons and Toxins in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs

Poisons and Toxins in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs can be food items like chocolate, grapes/raisins and chewing gums, household items, plants like cannabis and palm, pesticides, your prescription medication and many more. I will maintain a list of some of the common ones I see in my practice, so keep checking the page from time to time and join my newsletter for news alerts

Poisons and Toxins in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs RAT POISON:

Rat Poison in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs LIFE THREATING,  there are three types of rat poison but the most common are the anticoagulants and bromethalin ones (the third one is cholecalciferol). All three should be considered life-threatening emergencies thus require immediate treatment.Poisons and Toxins in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs:

Timing is critical,  removing the poison by inducing vomiting and coating the stomach to prevent its absorption is only effective soon after ingestion.

Rat Poison in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs, ANTICOAGULANTS prevents your bulldog blood from clotting thus cause uncontrolled bleeding. Unfortunately, Warfarin anticoagulants (first generation) are now often replaced with more potent ones. Clinical signs can take a few days to manifest with your bulldog exhibiting lethargy, dark stool, frank blood from dripping from any orifice, pale gums and bruising easily seen on the belly and gums. Your veterinarian can often confirm the poisoning and related clotting deficiency by running a lab panel that includes clotting factors.  The bleeding can be reversed with Vitamin K given by injections and orally. At times your bulldog might need a blood transfusion, oxygen support, and hospitalization. The prognosis is good if treatment started early.

Rat Poison in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs BROMMETHALIN poisoning affects the CNS manifested by swelling (edema) in the brain. Clinical signs in a bulldog who ingested this type of rat poison can start quickly as early as 24h from ingestion, it usually manifested with seizures, tremors, anorexia, and depression. Unfortunately, there is no antidote for this poison thus supportive therapy with IV fluid and medication to reduce the brain swell is all that can be done. If the pet survives, they often don’t want to eat for an extended time and will need to be supported and fed.

Rat Poison in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs PREVENTION: Prevention is key, be watchful for dead mice and rats, and remove them before your bulldog gets to them. If you place rat poison in your home or business always make sure that pet’s cant reaches it.

Poisons and Toxins in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs SAGO PALM:

There are a lot of poisonous plants out there, but few cause fatalities in bulldogs and French bulldogs like this one. Unfortunately, I personally experienced two tragic cases in my practice one a young French bulldog puppy of Sago Palm poisoning. All parts of the Sago Palms are poisonous, but their seeds are exceptionally deadly, the poison is “cycasin” and even ingestion of few seeds can be catastrophic.

 Poisons and Toxins in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs WARNING: I have seen the Sago Palm’s in my neighborhood yards (southern Ca) and local nurseries (see the photo I snapped at a nearby home depot store). Be aware, Bonsai Sago Palm’s are also popular as a house decorative items and gifts.

Sago Palm poisoning clinical manifestation can begin quickly thus if you suspect that your pet ingested any parts of this plant please seek emergency care immediately.

Bulldog Sago Palm Poisoning CLINICAL SIGNS: evidence of you bulldog poisoned by this plant might begin as gastrointestinal like vomit and diarrhea but the

Poisons and Toxins in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs

n can quickly progress to weakness, bloody vomit, and diarrhea, icterus (yellow gums and mucous membrane due to liver failure), seizures, inappetence, shock, and death.

Bulldog Sago Palm Poisoning TREATMENT: 
1. If you can get to an emergency hospital right away try to induce vomiting with oral hydrogen peroxide or Ipecac
2. Treatment will include inducing vomiting, stomach pumping, and stomach protective coating to hopefully remove the poison before it gets into you bulldog system.
3. Supportive therapy is all we can do to improve survival (there is no antidote) and will include:

If you are a pet owner I recommend removing those plants from your home and year.

 

Ask Dr. K / Q & A Request an Appointment Email Us