Sevoflurane Anesthesia is Superior and Safer for Bulldogs
Why Sevoflurane Anesthesia is Superior over Isoflurane in Bulldogs:
1. Bulldog RECOVERY: Sevoflurane is less soluble than isoflurane, which means that inductions and recoveries are even faster.
2. Bulldog INDUCTION: Mask inductions with sevoflurane were faster and of better quality than with isoflurane.
3. Bulldog LOW IRRITABLITY: Sevoflurane also appears to be better tolerated by mask induction then isoflurane, because it has low pungency and low airway irritability.
4. Bulldog FAST RECOVERY: Sevoflurane recovery from anesthesia is faster then isoflurane thus it would preferential in a non-painful procedure on an “out-patient” basis.
5. Bulldog DEPTH OF ANESTHESIA: the ability to change depth of anesthesia is quicker with sevoflurane This means you can “lighten” the depth of anesthesia quickly.
6. Bulldog SAFETY: I would prefer to use sevoflurane for mask or chamber inductions, cases requiring Caesarian sections and those very sickest, moribund patients where I want the best possible control of anesthetic depth.
7. Bulldog SPEED: Sevo is also more convenient for an uncomplicated, non-painful short procedure where you want to send the animal home as quickly as possible.