Constipation in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs
Constipation in bulldogs and French Bulldogs GI DIED & ENEMA: Hi Dr. Kraemer, my English bulldog Toby has been having a bad case of constipation even though he is on a gastro food diet. He poops small nuggets of poop every few hours. Our local vet did an enema on him a few months ago and his pooping became normal but now he is constipated again. What do you recommend?
Answer for Constipation in English Bulldog
Answer for Constipation in English Bulldog: Dear Bryan, first and most important is to establish that this is indeed constipation and not a different medical condition like colitis. An inexpensive diagnosis would be radiographing if they show a large amount of dry dense feces in the colon then it’s likely constipation.
Chronic constipation can lead to discomfort, pain, disease, and obstipation (inability to relieve the poop).
Answer for Constipation in English Bulldog CAUSE:
Early mild bulldog constipation as it appears, in this case, can be due to:
- STRESS & ANXIETY
- BATHROOM ACCESSIBILITY
- LOW FIBER
- DRUGS SIDE EFFECT
- MEDICAL CONDITIONS: Neurological (Megacolon), Blockage like polyp and cancer, Metabolic
Answer for Constipation in English Bulldog DIAGNOSTICS :
- BLOOD WORK
Answer for Constipation in English Bulldog TREATMENTS:
- ACTIVITY: healthy lifestyle, daily walks and playtime
- HYDRATION: make sure your bulldog gets plenty of water, you can mix extra with the food, add a broth ice cube to the water container, add canned food to the dry, etc
- STREE FREE: provide sufficient activity, playtime, and a relaxed environment. If you have an Anxious bulldog, you can add supplements like Dr. Kraemer V4B Bully Calm & StressLess natural botanical chews
- DIETARY: blend diet, prescription gastrointestinal diet, diets with extra fiber
- FIBER: add natural botanical fiber supplements like Dr. Kraemer’s V4B Bully Gentle Move & Anal gland express
- PRE & PROBIOTICS: for a balance GI microbiome, like Dr. Kraemer’s V4B Bully Pre & Probiotic Chews
- MEDICAL: remove the underlining conditions, surgery and RX in some cases are necessary.