Crusty Hyperkeratosis Nose in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs
Crusty Hyperkeratosis Nose in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs is a skin condition common to the bulldog’s nose and paws.
Keratin is a protein that helps make nails, hair, and the outer layer of your bulldog skin
Crusty Hyperkeratosis Nose in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs PRESENTATION
Many of you have seen a bulldog with a crusty thick layer of keratinized skin over its nose or/and pawa pads and wondered what it is, whether can it be prevented, whether is it contagious and how should it be treated.
NASOPLANTER HYPERKERATOSIS: Is hyperkeratosis that involves both the nose and paw
Other less common locations are the:
- EAR TIPS
- ELBOWS CALLUS
MILD HYPERKERATOSIS: Most cases are mild with only a mild benign crusty thick callus on the top of the nose and or/and the paw pads.
Crusty Hyperkeratosis Nose In Bulldog And French Bulldogs CAUSE
Keratin helps make the top layer of skin and acts mostly as a protective barrier, hyperkeratosis happens when too much of it is made.
- KERATOSIS: is the normal production of keratin
- HYPERKERATOSIS: is an overproduction of keratin
NOSE & PAW HYPERKERATOSIS GENETIC CAUSE:
Nasal Hyperkeratosis is much more common in bulldogs than in most other breeds thus it’s likely genetic
NOSE & PAW HYPERKERATOSIS IDIOPATHIC CAUSE:
Hyperkeratosis due to unknown an inherited origin is likely.
BULLDOG NASAL HYPERKERATOSIS BRACHYCEPHALIC:
BRACHYCEPALHIC FLAT FACE: Another reason could be a failure of the keratin to wear down due to the breed facial smooshed confirmation.
BULLDOG DIGITAL HYPERKERATOSIS ORTHOPEDIC:
Bulldog Paw hyperkeratosis could be due to uneven weight baring that bulldogs exhibit due to the breed confirmation, and frequent orthopedic conditions such as
- Bulldog elbow dysplasia
- Bulldog ACL Tear
- MPL: Bulldog Medial Patella Luxation
- Bulldog hip dysplasia
OTHER BULLDOG HYPERKERATOSIS CAUSES:
- ZINK DEFICIENCY
- PEMPHIGUS: an autoimmune disease
- VIRAL: Canine Distemper
- IMMUNE: Immune incompetency
BULLDOG NOSE & PAW HYPERKERATOSIS WARNING:
Due to its genetic nature bulldog nasal and digital hyperkeratosis is a condition that requires lifelong management and care
Nasal Crusty Hyperkeratosis In Bulldogs And French Bulldogs PRESENTATION
MILD FORM: The mild form though unappealing is usually benign and considered cosmetic and harmless.
SEVERE FORM: An advance more severe case can “fracture”, fissure, or split and at times bleed.
Those more severe changes will disrupt the natural keratinized protective skin barrier and may become infected. Consequently, your bulldog’s nose might become irritable and itchy, causing your bulldog may rub his/her nose and further injure it.
A severe case of paw digital hyperkeratosis can also cause pain and lameness.
Here is a list of some of the common findings:
- CRUST: Crusty thickens the keratinized layer of the nasal bridge or/and paw pads
- CRACKS: Cracked keratinized layer often with dry blood
- PAIN: Pain & Discomfort
- ITCH: Licking & Rubbing
- LIMP: Limp if paw pads are affected
- INACTIVITY: Limping & Inactivity if paws are affected.
- INFECTION: Active Infection in a severe case (deep cracks)
Nasal Crusty Hyperkeratosis In Bulldogs And French Bulldogs DIAGNOSIS
- Visual exam
- Culture: to rule out bacterial infection
- Biopsies in a severe case
- Distemper Test: viral test
Crusty Thicken Hyperkeratosis Bulldog Nose PREVENTION
BULLDOG CRUSTY NOSE & PAW THERAPEUTIC SUPPLEMENTS:
- BULLY FISH OIL: Like dr. Kraemer’s V4B Bully Fish Oil EFA
- BULLY IMMUNE BOOSTERS: Like Dr. Kraemers V4B Bully Immune Support Formula
- BULLY MULTIVITAMINS: like Dr. Kraemer’s V4B Bully Multivitamin (VIT E)
- BULLY COMFORT & PAINLESS: Such as Dr. Kraemer’s V4B Bully Comfort & AchLess Formula
- BULLY JOINTS & BONE: Such as Dr. Kraemer’s V4B Bully Total Joint Support
BULLDOG CRUSTY NOSE & PAW THERAPEUTIC TOPICALS
- BULLY ANTIMICROBIAL WIPES: like Dr. Kraemer’s V4b Bully Skinfolds Wipe
- BULLY ANTIMICROBIAL GEL / LOTION: like Dr. Kraemer’s V4B antiseptic or yeasty Gel & Lotion
- BULLY ANTIMICROBIAL SPRAY & RINSE: like Dr. Kraemer’s V4B antiseptic Hot Spot
- BULLY DIET: Proper Nutrition
BULLDOG CRUSTY NOSE & PAW CARE
- TRIMMING & SHAVING: Trimming/Shaving the keratinized layer
- HYDRATING & LUBRICATING: Lubrication, Hydrating, and Emollients
- SOAKING: Paw soaking with Epson salt and antiseptic bully rinse
- HYGIENE: Good Hygiene
- KERATOLYTIC: ointments that included sulfa and salicylic acid that help break down the excess keratin
- WEIGHT CONTROL: for paws/digit bully hyperkeratosis
Crusty Hyperkeratosis Nose In Bulldogs And French Bulldogs TREATMENT
- ANTISEPTIC MEDICATION: if the site is infected a topical and oral antimicrobial and Antifungal
- ANALGESICS: Pain medication
- BANDAGE: Paw bandaging or boot
- OINTMENT: Keratolytic ointments (sulfa and S. Acid)
- SUPPLEMENTS: therapeutic supplements for pain relief like Dr. Kraemer’s V4B Bully Comfort Formula
- TOPICALS: therapeutic topicals like Dr. Kraemer’s antiseptic wipes and gel.
Nasal Crusty Hyperkeratosis In Bulldogs And French Bulldogs TIPS & WARNINGS
BULLDOG CRUSTY HYPERKERATOSIS NOSE TIPS:
Bulldog Dry Paw and Nose PETROLEUM GELLY Tip #1
There is no need to spend a large sum on expensive commercial balms and moisturizers.
Petroleum Gels are generic and inexpensive. They are safe to use, for those of you worried about your bulldog licking some of it off the nose and digesting them it’s only a problem at the large amount and high concentration.
Bulldog Dry Nose and Paw HYDRATION & CLEANSER Tip #2
You can prime the area by socking the callused skin with lukewarm water.
If the area is infected mix some of Dr. Kraemer’s V4B Antiseptic Rinse with the water (color them light orange). The paws you can soak/dip them for 5 min.
Bulldog & Fr. Bulldog Crusy Nose Tip #3 COSMETIC:
For most bulldogs and Fr. Bulldogs hyperkeratosis of the nose is mostly cosmetic when present as a mild form. Those mild forms are not infected, they cause little to no discomfort or irritation, thus mostly requiring prevention and maintenance.
BULLDOG CRUSTY HYPERKERATOSIS NOSE WARNINGS:
Bulldog Nose Crust Warning #1 LIFE LONG:
Due to the genetic and anatomical nature of this condition, most bulldogs and Fr bulldogs will endure nasal and digital hyperkeratosis for their entire life.
To prevent the painful and infected hyperkeratosis forms you must follow our home care recommendations which include:
- TOPICAL BULLY THERAPEUTICS
- THERAPEUTIC BULLY SUPPLEMENTS
Buldlog Crust Nose Warning #2 WEIGHT CONTROL:
In order to avoid paw hyperkeratosis, your bulldog should maintain a lean body weight.
Bulldog Paw Pad Warning #3 ORTHOPEDIC:
In order to avoid digital hyperkeratosis you should keep your bulldogs on therapeutic joint supplements.
Bulldog Paw Warning #4 INTERDITIAL CYST:
In order to avoid paw hyperkeratosis you should manage your bulldog interdigital cyst with our therapeutic topicals
“AN OUNCE OF PREVENTION IS WORTH A POUND OF CURE”
*This guide was compiled courtesy of Dr. Kraemer, a “MUST READ” manual for any current or future bully owner.