Pain and Pain Relief in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs
Pain and Pain Relief in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs Must Know
Pain and Pain Relief in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs should be addressed in every level of care and wellness. In the last decade, our perception and understanding of pain in pets has dramatically changed. The newfound knowledge and heighten awareness to pain in veterinary medicine paved the way to a much-improved standard of care and to a wide range of cutting-edge pain control modalities and new age innovative pain relief therapies.
Pain and Pain Relief in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs is sometimes overlooked, at times ignored and often inadequately controlled. Ironically, it is not uncommon to find low pain scores assigned to some of the most painful bulldog and French bulldogs medical conditions. Erroneously and unfortunately too often those bulldog painful conditions are considered “Normal” and “OK” even by the professional and experience bulldog owners.
Painfull conditions in bulldogs and French bulldogs short list:
- Bulldog chronic ear disease (“Bulldog Otitis”, ”Bulldog Yeasty Ear Infection” )
- Bulldog and French Bulldog Skin Fold Dermatitis (“Bulldog Tail Fold Dermatitis”)
- Bulldog Interdigital Cyst (“Bulldog Interdigital Furunculosis”)
- Bulldog dental disease (“Bulldog Periodontitis”, Bulldog Gingivitis” “Bulldog Broken Teeth”)
- Bulldog Allergies (“Bulldog Itch Allergic Dermatitis”, “Bulldog Pododermatitis”)
- Bulldog Cystitis (“Bulldog UTI”, “Bulldog Urinary Tract Infection”)
- Bulldog Arthritis (“Bulldog Osteoarthritis”, “Bulldog Degenerative Joint Disease”)
- Bulldog orthopedics (“Bulldog Elbow Dysplasia” “Bulldog ACL Tears”, “Bulldog Medial Patellar luxation”,)
Pain in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs is transmitted via the central nerves system to the brain, sadly when this stimulus is ongoing and chronic it will lead to hypersensitivity (i.e. enhanced pain, heighten pain, amplified pain), inflammation, unhealthy stress response and anxiety. Thus, timing and early recognition are critical, the sooner the recognition of pain is addressed the easier it will be to control.
Dr. Kraemer’s V4B Pain and Pain Relief in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs Rule Of Thumb:
Pain in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs can manifest by a showing of the following:
- Abnormal Movement: Limp, unusual gait, abnormal posture, refuse to stand or refuse to lay down.
- Abnormal Breathing: excessive panting, barking, unusual vocalization.
- Abnormal Activities: Restless, abnormal sleeping patterns, Shaky.
- Abnormal Behavior: Agitation, growling, aggression.
- Abnormal Food intake: Reduced appetite.
- Abnormal Interaction: Shy away from petting, reserved.
Dr. Kraemer’s V4B Pain and Pain Relief in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs Maintenance:
Pain Relief in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs should start early so to avoid long-term physical and emotional damage. Ideal therapy should include a mix of pharmaceuticals (analgesics, anti-inflammatory, anti-anxiety), weight control, quality weight control diet, and nutritional management, as well as alternative neuromodulation and new age pain relief modalities such us;
- Supplements Joint & Arthritis: Like Dr. Kraemer’s V4B Comfort Plus Formula, V4b Advanced Total Joint Formula , V4B Omega EFA Fish Oil
- Supplements Anxiety & Pain: like Dr. Kraemer’s V4B StressLess Plus, V4B Probiotics Plus and V4B Comfort Plus Formula
- Class 4 Laser: Cold Laser Therapy
- tPEMT: targeted Pulse Electromagnetic Therapy
- PRP: Platelet Rich Plasma
- Regenerative Medicine Therapy: Stem Cell Therapy and Cyrobanking
- CBD (cannabidiol) Oils and THC (tetrahydrocannabinol): Bulldogs are highly sensitive to the psychoactive component of THC. Most CBD oils are from the hemp plant, it has a high safety rating and has shown to improve and help multiple conditions in bulldogs and French bulldogs including arthritis. Unfortunately, they are still considered illegal for sale by veterinarians and in some states, veterinarians are not even allowed to talk about CBD & THC merits and risks. As always, you should follow my “do no harm rule”, do your due diligence and only buy from a reputable pharmacy.
A common myth is that bulldogs and French bulldogs are indifferent to pain and don’t suffer as we do. Pack animals are wired to hide the pain. In the wild hiding, an injury and ignoring pain has an evolutionary advantage and would have protected your bulldog or French bulldog standing in their respective pack. Pain in bulldogs and French bulldogs undergoing surgery should receive the same consideration as though they were humans.
Dr. Kraemer’s V4B Pain and Pain Relief in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs Puppies Tips & Warnings:
V4B Pain and Pain Relief in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs Tip #1: My pre-op/operative/post-op patient-care protocol provides for the right mix of remedies that grant our bulldog patients a calm state of mind, minimal anxiety, and minimal discomfort.
V4B Pain and Pain Relief in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs Tip #2: Bulldog pain relief management should include a stress-free environment, optimal temperature control, proper ventilation, proper sanitation, comfortable bedding, and proper hydration.
V4B Pain and Pain Relief in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs Tip #3: For bulldog pain relief I like to combine cutting age new age pain relief modalities with the more traditional pain control rx, especially for chronic cases. Those therapies include:
- PEMT: at home, low cost, safe, easy to apply, minimal labor. multiple treatments, targeted
- PRP: hospital, low cost, safe, joints injections, one treatment (option for more).
- Cold Laser Therapy: Hospital, Low Cost, Safe, targeted.
- Stem Cell Therapy: More expensive, Safe, IV, Joint, Muscle, Skin, Epidural, (systemic and targeted).
- Supplements: at home, Low Cost, Safe, Multiple Applications, Soft Chew,
– Dr. Kraemer’s Comfort Plus Formula can aid relieve mild pain
– Dr. Kraemer Advanced Total Joint Formula can aid reliving orthopedics condition and arthritis.
– Dr. Kraemer’s EFA EFA Fish Oil Formula can aid relive orthopedics and arthritis and enhance your bulldog immune system and skin and coat health
– Dr. Kraemer StressLess Plus can calm and aid relieve stress and anxiety.
V4B Pain and Pain Relief in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs Tip #4: Effective and adequate pain management in bulldogs recovering from surgery will speed up the healing and recovery process
V4B Pain and Pain Relief in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs Tip #5: Emotional care must be part of your pain management; thus an abundance of love, attention, and playtime are essential elements for pain relief and quality of life.
V4B Pain and Pain Relief in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs Warning #1: Untreated pain is likely to impact your bulldog quality of life and life expectancy.
V4B Pain and Pain Relief in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs Warning #2: Lack of pain control will affect your bulldog and French bulldog wound healing, and could slow recovery from surgery and/or disease.
V4B Pain and Pain Relief in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs Warning #3: Lack of pain control will increase your bulldog stress and anxiety which will impact adversely his/her immune system, therefore, might increase the chance for infections and septicemia.
V4B Pain and Pain Relief in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs Warning #4: Ear infections are very common to bulldogs and French Bulldogs, and a common source of acute and chronic pain. Adequate pain control should be discussed and implemented in addition to cleaning, custom medicated ear rinse and rinsing, and prescribed otic medication will help control the disease.
V4B Pain and Pain Relief in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs Warning #5: Bulldogs and French bulldogs often suffer from a deep tail pocket which leads to chronic discomfort and pain. As a bulldog owner, you must keep those fold dry and infection free. Antiseptic/Antifungal wipes and rinses like Dr. Kramer’s Skin Fold wipe should be used daily, Severe cases will need pain control medication in addition to the daily topical care.
V4B Pain and Pain Relief in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs Warning #6: Bulldogs and French bulldogs with a severe periodontal disease, gingivitis, tooth decay, broken teeth, infected teeth all suffer from pain just as you do. The fact that they are still eating is due to evolution and how they are genetically wired rather than an indication of pain-free mouth. A bulldog does not know that a meal would be provided the next day, they are wired to eat even when they are suffering from bad tooth pain, it’s an inborn survival instinct. Early emphasis on bulldog dental care is critical, mechanical brushing with a toothpaste like Dr Kraemer’s V4B Dental Gel is ideal. you can also add a dental mouth rinse, water additive and food additives like Dr. Kraemer’s V4B Aqua Splash, V4B Antiseptic Dental Rinse and V4B Dental Plaque Off Flakes.
V4B Pain and Pain Relief in Bulldogs and French Bulldogs Warning #7: Ironically and unfortunately some bulldogs and French bulldog are taken off pain relief for the wrong reasons. A common example would be “if I give him the pain medication it will mask his pain and my bulldog condition might get worse”. The solution, of course, is to keep your bulldog on the pain management protocol and at the same time to confine and restrict your bulldog activities.
Pain in bulldogs and French bulldogs that is not sufficiently controlled despite adherence to all the recommendations and modern pain management alternatives could raise an ethical dilemma. In that case when quality of life is severely compromised, human euthanasia as an ending to the suffering could be discussed. This unfortunate scenario (ethical dilemma) is something that every pet owner might face and in certain circumstances is a companionate alternative that should be considered. You should feel comfortable and safe to share that moral dilemma with your bulldog medical team. You should also ask for more information about new age pain control options and hospice now available for pet owners.