English Bulldog Interdigital Cysts Surgery Dilemma
English Bulldog Interdigital Cysts Surgery Dilemma, my main question is can his cysts/webs be removed? Dr. Gamber does not have experience with removing them or if this is even an option. I have no experience if his webs are removed if he will struggle to walk because it is part of his anatomy. Any advice if these can be removed would be so greatly appreciated, he is miserable and I just want him out of pain.
English Bulldog Interdigital Cysts Surgery Dilemma RX:
- Trazodone 150mg – 1 tab bid
- Cetirizine 10mg – 3 tabs sid
- Thyro-tab 0.5mg – 1 & 1/2 tab bid
- Cosequin ds – 3 caps a day
- Duralactin – 1 tab bid
- Gabapentin 300mg – 1 cap bid
- Niacinamide 500mg – 1/2 tab bid
- Doxy 100mg – 1 & 1/2 tab bid,
- Tramadol if he is limping from his cysts and that dosing is 2 tabs bid
- SilVet MC Miconazole/Chlorhexidine Shampoo (10 min. soak) – use once a week on paws, chins, armpits, underbelly, vetraseb medicated shampoo (10 min. soak) – use once a week on body
- Miconahex + Triz Mousse – use daily on paws before bed
- Silvet CC Antiseptic Wipes – use daily on paws before bed
- Optimmune (Cyclosporin Opth Oint) – twice a week to both eyes
- Zymox Ear Cleanser – use once a week after bathing
- Ketohex Wipes – use on wrinkles on face once a week
- Cytopoint inj – every 4-8 weeks
- C.E.T Enzymatic Tooth Paste Vanilla-Mint – once a week, I use epsom salt soakings (5 min. each time) when his cysts flares up,
English Bulldog Interdigital Cysts Surgery Dilemma RX HYPOALLERGENIC DIET:
Hills Prescription D/D duck dry and wet (currently having to feed him Royal Canin Prescription Duck canned because the Hills wet has been on backorder for months) – he gets nothing else, notable foods, no treats, etc. just this food only.
FLEA: He also gets either Simparica Trio monthly or Bravecto and sentinel depending on what stock I have at home.
English Bulldog Interdigital Cysts Surgery Dilemma ANTIBIOTICS
In the most recent C & S we tried Zeniquin this round as the cephalexin and baytril were no longer working. We actually thought we may be dealing with MRSA and that is why we did a C & S. The Zeniquin cleared up his paws but as soon as the a/b was finished he flared up and his current state is what is in the photos.
I have tried cryosurgery in the past and it was just scar tissue, so I did not do anything further at that time.
English Bulldog Interdigital Cysts Surgery Dilemma ANTI INFLAMMATORY & ANALGESICS
I am nervous to try Apoquel because of the side effects. He has been on pred and temaril-p in the past but he is extremely sensitive and urinates every 20 min. so that is not really an option. I have also tried fish oils and he is allergic and flares up a couple of days after starting.
-I really just do not know what is available at this stage, but I am curious if these can be removed.
I look forward to hearing from you and appreciate your time more than you know. Thank you so much!
Jillian and Knack
P.S. below is a video of his paws, but I have never done this before, so not sure if it will work or not.
Answer for English Bulldog Interdigital Cysts Surgery Dilemma
Answer for English Bulldog Interdigital Cysts Surgery Dilemma, “can my bulldog webbing be removed surgically?” YES, THEY CAN BR REMOVED, the surgery is called FUSION PODOPLASTY. But it should only be done as a last resort option and only by an experienced surgeon who has done those successfully more than once and good luck finding one.
Answer for English Bulldog Interdigital Cysts Surgery Dilemma MY RECOMMENDATION:
The short answer is, I don’t recommend doing it! it’s a long way to recovery with potential complications. I prefer the nonsurgical approach.
Your bulldog might end up worse than he was pre-surgically
Post-Op Care is very labor-intensive, including extensive wound care and bandage replacement. Keep in mind it will be time-consuming and expensive ($$$).
You are a dedicated owner, most of what you have done so far is correct, you can do some fine-tuning, read my article on that topic.
Answer for English Bulldog Interdigital Cysts Surgery Dilemma DEFINITION:
Note, the name “bulldog interdigital cyst” though commonly use (including myself, since it is how bulldog owners know it) is incorrect, the medical term for this condition is “bulldog interdigital folliculitis/furunculosis”. There is rarely a true cyst, the “cystic” like blister red bump is an inflammatory reaction to an offensive object or condition rather than a cyst.
Secondary infection is common when the blister raptures.
Answer for English Bulldog Interdigital Cysts Surgery Dilemma CAUSE
Bulldog and French bulldog interdigital cyst is multifactorial problems thus require a multimodal management approach
The most common underline cause is abnormal hair growth due to the breed’s excessive webbing, skin folds, weight, and abnormal confirmation. It is often compounded by allergies.
Answer for English Bulldog Interdigital Cysts Surgery Dilemma MANAGEMENT & TREATMENT
- WEIGHT CONTROL
- SOAKING & ANTISEPTIC RINSE: Epson salt mixed with bully antiseptic skinfold rinse
- ANTISEPTIC WIPES & LOTION: wipe & pump with bully antiseptic skinfold XL wipe and bully skinfold antiseptic lotion
- ALLERGY CONTROL:
- PAIN CONTROL: analgesics, NSAID, bully comfort & Achless
- ANTI-INFLAMMATORY RX: NSAID, Short Term Steroid,
- ANTI-INFLAMMATORY NON-RX: Bully Fish Oil SKIN-JOINT-IMMUNE, laser, PEMT, Stem Cell Therapy
- ANTIBACTERIAL & ANTIFUNGAL
- MITE/DEMODEX CONTROL
To learn more about bully interdigital cyst see Dr. Kraemer’s full article HERE
An Ounce Of PREVENTION Is Worth A Pound Of CURE
*This guide was compiled courtesy of Dr. Kraemer, a “must-read” manual for any current or future bully owner
Please login or Register to submit your answer